Jackson B. Barnett
Jackson B. Barnett is the Principal Attorney of Barnett Law Offices. Mr. Barnett has intimate knowledge of the complex aeromedical certification process for pilots with current or past mental health conditions, such as ADD, ADHD, anxiety, and depression.
Mr. Barnett holds a private pilot certificate with complex and high-power endorsements. And, before earning his private pilot certificate, Mr. Barnett flew gliders. In fact, he soloed at the minimum legal age of 14.
Mr. Barnett is an active member of numerous aviation law-related organizations, including the Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Aviation and Space Law Committee, where he serves on the law student development committee, and the Chicago Bar Association Aviation Law Committee, where he serves as the Vice Chair.
Mr. Barnett has served as a law clerk for the Department of Justice: Aviation, Space and Admiralty Section, where he analyzed the facts and legal issues of wrongful death claims against the United States under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). Additionally, Mr. Barnett worked at the leading large law firm for commercial aircraft transactions and finance. While in this role, Mr. Barnett reviewed and drafted aircraft Sales Purchase Agreements and completed aircraft closings on aircraft such as E-170s, E-175s, 737s, and 747s.
Mr. Barnett graduated with a juris doctor from Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, one of the top law schools in the United States. Mr. Barnett graduated magna cum laude from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with majors in Russian and Political Science.
At Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, Mr. Barnett studied trial practicum directly under an active judge and top trial attorneys. Mr. Barnett also studied labor and employment law, an area of law that impacts pilots’ lives daily, under on of the leading professors of the field.
Mr. Barnett is licensed to practice law in Illinois, and practices federal aviation administration law across the country.
- Washington University in St. Louis, Juris Doctor
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Bachelor of Arts in Russian Language and Literature; Political Science, magna cum laude
- Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land, Complex Airplane Endorsement, High Performance Endorsement
Professional Affiliations & Service
- Vice-Chair, Chicago Bar Association, Aviation Law Committee, 2023-2024
- Planning Committee, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice, Aviation and Space Law Committee, 2021-2023.
- Member, Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, 2020-Present
- Member, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, 2017-Present